Costco salmon is one of the top selling healthy items in the grocery section of the store, and for good reason.
One interesting thing to note – the Seattle Times covered a taste testing and reader poll, and the results were interesting! We’ll discuss that at the end of this post.
According to Seafoodwatch, this fish is one of the healthiest that you can buy. That is, if it’s caught from the right place at the right time. They recommend that you consider spending the extra couple bucks for the wild-caught variety.
Is Costco salmon farmed or wild?
Most of the fish in the cooler section is farmed Atlantic salmon, and in all the stores I have been to, the wild salmon at Costco is on the end of the row.
According to the company:
Our goal is to source farmed salmon only from suppliers that have been certified under the SAD standards. This goal has been partially achieved.
How much is a pound of salmon?
You can get a pound of farmed salmon at Costco for about $8.99. Wild caught Costco salmon is usually $10.99 a pound.
This is especially a good deal, because the average cost for farmed is $12-$13 at most stores. Wild-caught is even more, usually in the $15-$16 range.
If you buy it from the freezer section it’s even better. The frozen fillets of fish (say that three times fast) come out to $6 a pound.
How many calories are in Costco salmon?
One 7oz serving of Costco’s Atlantic salmon contains 340 calories and is composed of 55% fats and 45% proteins.
What Are Good Salmon Side Dishes?
I think the most important thing to think about when deciding on a side dish for this meal is to remember that a standard serving of fish is not always very filling. So the rest of the plate needs to make up for that, but still leaving room for the fish to be the star of the show. Here are some great options:
- To add some carbs to your plate, consider a pasta side like butter noodles or Asiago noodles like I had. Roasted potatoes or sweet potato fries are also popular choices.
- Greens like fresh arugula salad work great. Also asparagus, French-cut green beans, or Brussels sprouts. Saute with butter or steam and toss with Kirkland Signature olive oil.
- Corn can be a perfect complement to your fish, especially if you take time to prepare it. Mexican-style elotes are always amazing – just slice it off the cob and add mayo, lime, and chili powder.
Costco Salmon Wine Pairing Ideas
For pretty much any oily fish, the generally accepted advice is to pass on the red wine as you will want to consider pairing it with a white wine with a full body. You can also consider lighter red wines as well, depending on the preparation of your dish. Here are my favorites:
- Kirkland Signature Ti Point Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc
- 2014 Kirkland Signature Sonoma Chardonnay
- 2016 Kirkland Signature Cotes de Provence Rose
So now you have everything covered for a delicious dinner. First you have to decide which types of salmon to buy. The poll I mentioned earlier actually shows that people prefer the farmed variety – maybe that has something to do with it being the flavor that is much more common in our food today? Then choose a side or two, and pour your favorite ks wine to complement it. Ta da!
If you’re a fan of salmon, make sure to hit that PIN button before you go!